CHURCHES BECOME ONE|
Hamar Lutheran Church and Our
Savior’s Lutheran Church of Rothsay both had their
respective beginnings and first buildings on the sites
of their current cemeteries. The Hamar congregation
began worship in 1874, and constructed a log church
building at its cemetery site near the community of what
would become Rothsay nine years later. In 1888 the Our
Savior’s congregation formed and began worship services.
Its current church building was constructed at the Our
Savior’s cemetery site in 1891. The Hamar congregation
constructed its current church building in Rothsay in
1886, and the people of Our Savior’s moved their church
building to its current location in 1926. The two
congregations remained neighbors, but separate until
joining the two congregations together have been in the
air for many years, but didn’t become serious until
2001. In that year a series of meetings was held and a
decision was made to move ahead with plans for the
Our Savior’s and Hamar Lutheran
Churches of Rothsay, and Little Bethany Lutheran Church
of rural Rothsay/Barnesville formed New Life Lutheran
Parish in 2002, and made plans to move toward the
formation of a new congregation by 2008. It was proposed
that they be joined together as one congregation with
one council and one budget. In 2007 Little Bethany chose
to remain as an independent congregation in a parish
arrangement with the new congregation in Rothsay.
On January 6, 2008 Hamar
and Our Savior’s congregations closed and New Life
Lutheran Church was born. This successful move can be
attributed to the careful work by the Church Councils,
pastors who worked well together, the youth group’s
formation, Sunday Schools that joined together and a
belief system that stresses oneness.
A New Church
The new church building of New
Life Lutheran church was built on the Hamar church/Grina
Funeral Home site in 2010-2011. The dedication service
for the new church was held in February 2011. The new
church provides modern, adequate and handicap-accessible
worship, education and fellowship space that will serve
the current and future members of New Life Lutheran
Church for generations to come.
Pastor Paul Huso, who came to serve
the parish in February, 2006 now serves as pastor of
Little Bethany and New Life Lutheran Churches.
Partner: Little Bethany Lutheran
Little Bethany Lutheran Church has
been a parish partner with what is now New Life Lutheran
Church for over one hundred twenty years. When Our
Savior’s Lutheran Church originated in 1888, it joined
in a five-point parish with Little Bethany and others.
Little Bethany, a small rural congregation remains as an
independent ELCA congregation located ten miles north of
Rothsay on the rolling prairie of north-western
Ottertail County. It remains today in a two-point parish
partnership with New Life Lutheran Church.